First Steps in ArangoDB
For installation instructions, please refer to the
As you know from the introduction ArangoDB is a multi-purpose open-source
Database. You can see the Key features below or look directly at the programs in
the ArangoDB package.
Key features include:
- Schema-free schemata: Lets you combine the space efficiency of MySQL with
the performance power of NoSQL
- Application server: Use ArangoDB as an application server and fuse your
application and database together for maximal throughput
browser to your back-end
- Flexible data modeling: Model your data as combinations of key-value pairs,
documents or graphs - perfect for social relations
- Free index choice: Use the correct index for your problem, may it be a skip
list or a fulltext search
- Configurable durability: Let the application decide if it needs more
durability or more performance
- No-nonsense storage: ArangoDB uses all of the power of modern storage
hardware, like SSD and large caches
- Powerful query language (AQL) to retrieve and modify data
- Transactions: Run queries on multiple documents or collections with
optional transactional consistency and isolation
- Replication: Set up the database in a master-slave configuration
- It is open source (Apache Licence 2.0)
For more in-depth information:
- Read more on the
- Watch the video: Martin Schönert,
architect of ArangoDB, gives an introduction of what the ArangoDB project
- Or give it a try
The ArangoDB package comes with the following programs:
- arangod: The ArangoDB database daemon. This server program is
intended to run as a daemon process and to serve the various clients
connection to the server via TCP / HTTP. See Details about the ArangoDB Server
- arangosh: The ArangoDB shell. A client that implements a
read-eval-print loop (REPL) and provides functions to access and
administrate the ArangoDB server. See Details about the ArangoDB Shell.
- arangoimp: A bulk importer for the ArangoDB server.
See Details about Arangoimp.
- arangodump: A tool to create backups of an ArangoDB database. See
Details about Arangodump.
- arangorestore: A tool to reload data from a backup into an ArangoDB database.
See Details about Arangorestore
- foxx-manager: A shell script to administer Foxx applications.
See Foxx Manager
- arango-dfdb: A datafile debugger for ArangoDB. It is intended to be
used primarily during development of ArangoDB